Thursday, October 3, 2013

Molly's Family Restaurant -- by gcleff11

Some have read my work, while most all of civilization hasn't.  But for the five of you that have read my work in Urbanspoon, you know my disdain for the train car.  If for nothing else, because a lazy Spokane populace plunges off the buffalo jump--every stinking year--to vote them as Spokane's best breakfast in local media channels.  In a word that rhymes with wrong.....wrong.  I will not mention their name in this posting...

What I will mention, is what most of my family and friends feel is one of the best and most affordable Downtown Spokane breakfast experiences---Molly's.  Traditional, stick to your ribs, American breakfasts in an historic old A-Frame that awaits you.  It beckons me all the way to Cheney like a Homeric siren...

Six egg omelets are standard here.  Say that out freekin' loud.  And at pretty much the same price line that other hearty breakfast places charge.  And guess what's inside of that umami ova blanket?  Stuff.  Good stuff, and lots of it.  My oldest daughter's fave is their sausage and cheese. She usually succumbs to impending food coma after eating half of it...





As you walk in, always take a peak at the blackboards near the cash register for their specials. I've had $7.95 steak and eggs, chicken fried pork loin and eggs (massive), and a traditional eggs/hash browns/sourdough toast for $4.95.  Good things to be had by frugal diners.  Last visit's special I sampled was Breaded Pork Chops for $6.99...



  

This is a lower middle-class joint.  Most of the clientele I've seen dining there are dressed casually in work attire, of all ages, and are always engaged in quiet and friendly banter among themselves. To-go containers are the norm here, so have a hungry teenager at home, or plan on splitting a meal with your dining partner when  you order.  Even their smaller platters may give you a struggle to finish...






One can't look at the building and not figure out what it's history is/was.  Nostalgia makes me very pleased to see that it wasn't demolished years ago, when the previous corporate tenant bailed downtown Spokane.  The familiar design has a very archaic appeal to me, and leads me to believe that it might have been one of the first ones of it's kind in Eastern Washington. Plus, it just screams of....breakfast.





I love the waitresses here, and there is a cross-section of generations taking care of the patrons. There are no, 'gals who have been here for thirty years,' but each and every one of them are all business, yet genuinely friendly in a welcoming way--and they all have pull on how you want your food cooked.  Let them know how you like it.  And I'm a sucker for uniforms, so the dark green polo shirts, with the black cheerleader skirts win me over every time.  I would have loved to post a picture of these, but I wasn't about to ask the nice gals if they minded a weird foodie blogger posting their photos online...


BUSINESS NOTES:  Everyday, all-day, all year long.  A well-oiled, greasy spoon machine.  I may have to try lunch or dinner, sometime.  But it's just so very, very hard to order anything but breakfast here.  No alcohol sales here, so always family friendly.  And Molly, the little animal as their mascot?  It's a dog.  For years I thought it was a cat...


  • Molly's Family Restaurant on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. All of their meals are amazing and their cakes are wonderful! We love Molly's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My whole family loves Molly's, Colleen...! Sorry I didn't respond sooner. This bloggy thing is just a fun hobby for me, so I don't peek in on my work as much as other bloggers might. Terry's on Trent does a great job, too, but there are a lot of nice joints that take care of our breakfast needs. If you hit a place I haven't been to that you like, let me know...! :)

    ReplyDelete