Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Zentropa Pizzeria & Pub -- by gcleff11

I dye my hair.  And let me tell you why.  Because having to live in a college town that arguably had the crappiest pizza options for over ten years of residence caused me to go prematurely grey.  I'm serious.  Think about it.  College students and pizza.  They go together like college students and ramen noodles.  When take and bake pizza is your absolute best pizza option in this town, you can understand why the follicles went white...


Wedgies...


Like a legally prescribed dose of human growth hormones, Zentropa will return the shade of my mop-top to it's original hue.  I cannot tell you how happy I am to have them in my town.  This is pizza.  Yeah, yeah, they advertise a "NYC" style of wheel, but really nothing compares to the product from iconic pizza locales, i.e., The Big Apple, Chicago, SoCal, etc.  What they are--and are doing--is making a damn fine pie.  They opt for a thin crust, which indeed, is nicely foldable like an NYC wheel.  Slices on their extra large pizzas, when folded, almost have a hot Italian sandwich quality to them...


$5.99 Wing Wednesday...


As to their extra large pies...  They're big (18").  I can see where folks might think that $20+ for one of their big ones might be a bit pricey for pizza, but with the quality of product and the amount you get, I happen to think they are priced very fairly.  I can give you anecdotal reasons for that with stories of my take-home boxes from dining experiences, but I think you get the idea.  If you can eat more than two slices, after apps, finishing the crust in their nice pesto ranch dip, you are a better man than I, Gunga Din...


Pancetta & Onion w/Garlic White Sauce (Build Your Own)


I do have a recommendation for those who wish to visit:  go for their signature pies--either regular or extra large.  You will get more toppings for the price.  When you opt to do a "build your own" it will get a little expensive.  No less delicious, but a slightly higher price.  I have tried four of their signatures, and there hasn't been a bad one in the bunch...


House Combo...


House Chicken...

They are not infallible, and I need this to be pointed out.  I have had a less than memorable experience (once), and I attribute it to being early in the week, with newer food preparers and inexperience staff.  They are new.  Yet, even with my slight disappointment with that one experience, everything was still light years better than every other pizza option in Cheney.  And I have met the owner and general manager, and both absolutely insist on receiving feedback about the product, anything that falls short of expectations, or anything else the customer might suggest to improve the experience...

What I appreciate about these guys is that while they obviously will cater to the college crowd, their focus is on the citizens of Cheney first and foremost.  That will work very well for them when visitors from Spokane make a special trip to try them.  Another thing that pleases me, is how I am treated the same every time I have been there.  I'm not treated any different than any other Jane or Joe who plops down in one of their booths or buddy bars.  That's the way it should be...


Welcome to The Trope...


BUSINESS NOTES:  They are open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner.  They do offer slices thru the lunch time frame for hungry locals working in downtown Cheney.  They also have some very fresh local micro brews on tap, which will be rotated, and they are going to host a "Mug Club," which you can count on me being a part of...


Zentropa Pizzeria & Pub on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment