Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Spangle Saloon & Grill -- by gcleff11

Can't think of a reason to visit the sleepy hamlet of Spangle, WA...?  I will give you a fowl reason. Some of the best broasted chicken in Spokane County is being served in the Spangle Saloon.  Here it is in all it's magma-hot, right out of the broaster glory...




A lot of folks don't know what broasted chicken is, and frankly, I had a limited knowledge of it before my midwestern wife shared her love of the broasted bird to me. My intial thought was that it's some kind of broiled-roasted creation, and not the standard over-fried dry and tasteless pieces that restaurants and grocery stores offer to the masses. Broasted chicken is, essentially, the pressure-fried creation of one Harlan Sanders of Corbin, KY. Yee-up, the one and only Colonel. But not all broasted bird is the same from all the limited numbers of restaurants that serve it. The Spangle Saloon had a reputation for good bird before I tried it. Folks were right...

Tender and oh so juicy, the hallmark of great broasted chicken, these guys/gals have it nailed. There isn't much more to say about it, except that you have the open-canvas to make it your own special bite. As is, dipped in ranch, splash of hot sauce, Heinz 57, etc,....you name it.  It's yours.  Mine is enjoyed with a squirt of sriracha.  While they don't currently have sriracha as a condiment, they have no problem with me bringing in my own bottle.  That's the mark of a nice home town place that lets the customer be comfortable.  And, their ample and perfectly cooked jojos (potato logs, as my part of the country calls them) are the proper side dish for this country comfort food dish.  Add a nice long neck bottle of beer and, well, you know the rest...


There are great flat-top grilled tavern burgers to be had at the Saloon, as well.  Their signature Saloon Burger was exactly as satisfying as I wanted it to be the first time I visited--and has never disappointed since...




Just to add a bit more of the menu to this posting, I'm including a pic of my oldest daughter's favorite burger in the County...The Pizza burger.  I didn't get a bite of this one, if you know what I mean.  Many other typical bar food menu items are available.  There's something for everybody...




I love finding places like this. These folks have been in business for a long time for a reason. They do better than a good job, and serve their small community in a way you would want/expect them to.  Do I make this place my local?  Nah.  But I know I can head from Cheney on a beautiful back country road and watch my my lovely wife have an umami, eyes rolling back moment, shaking her head on how on happy she is biting in to a juicy, perfectly cooked piece of fowl...



BUSINESS NOTES:  The Spangle Saloon & Grill is open seven days a week, breakfast lunch and dinner.  One thing to know is even though it's a bar, under 21-yr olds can enjoy a meal here with their families--in what I thought was a very safe environment...

Spangle Saloon & Grill on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment